- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in flour to make a soft dough.
2 Press the dough into a 9″ x 9″ square pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The pastry will still be very pale.
3 In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
4 Pour filling over par-baked crust, spreading gently to even out. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until filling begins to bubble and caramelize. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
Makes one 9″x9″ pan.